Our Impact 2020
Every week in Northern Ireland another three young people age 0-24 will be diagnosed with cancer, and many more will be struggling to cope with their parent’s cancer. We understand that beyond the essential medical care there is a family life that needs to be rebuilt. We also know that young people impacted by cancer are six times more likely to develop mental health issues such as anxiety and depression.
That is why we exist, to help children and young people not just survive but thrive beyond cancer by connecting, empowering, and strengthening them.
We support over 500 families and 1,500 children and young people, diagnosed with cancer or living with a parent with cancer, every year. Our Impact Report celebrates our key achievements in 2019– 2020, highlights the difference we are making to young people living with cancer and their families and going forward how we can improve and be bolder.
Last year we:
- supported 248 newly diagnosed families
- provided 765 individual support sessions to children and young people
- held our inaugural Celebrating YOUth event for over 100 young people
- provided 408 families with a nurturing and therapeutic short break
- delivered 902 complementary therapies to family members
- delivered 863 group support sessions in the community and at our residential centre
- ran 22 residentials providing peer support to young people impacted by cancer
- supported 140 parents through our Education Days & Wellbeing mini breaks
- empowered 13 young people to complete their Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award
You can also view the PDF here:
As always what we achieved in 2019-2020 would not have been possible without the continued support of our amazing donors, corporate partners, trusts and foundations, community and support groups who helped us raise an incredible £2.77M. Thank you for helping us ensure that children and young people in Northern Ireland do not have to face cancer alone.
Cancer won’t stop during the current pandemic and neither will we. At a time when demand for our services is increasing and pressures on cancer services growing, we really do appreciate every single donation and every hour volunteered.